Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude

Filthie's Mobile Fortress Of Solitude
Where Great Intelligence Goes To Be Insulted

Thursday, 3 August 2017

A Thursday Mish-Mash Of Disjointed Thoughts: End A The Road


In the course of my day I run around and drop in on customers to chat and squabble and deal like a sales guy does. Then I have to stop periodically to make notes in the computer, set alarms for future follow ups, make phone calls and check-ins, and do emails, etc etc. I can park anywhere to do that. Once I got busted by the new manager - he was picking up a burg from Rotten Ronnies and noticed my truck on the other side of the parking lot - in front of a pub! He put 2 and 2 together, got 7 - and we both damn near quit in the ensuing dog fight, HAR HAR HAR! I don't take shit off of managers and if they wrongfully accuse me of misconduct I tell them where to go and how to get there! I hadn't realized I had parked in front of a pub - I was too intent on pulling over to make a note before I forgot it ... and the pub parking lot was the closest place to do that. I can forgive Big Al, the optics of the situation looked bad and he was right to question it. He was wrong to bust my chops about it though and I made damn sure he knew it. Some managers seriously need to get over themselves.

The other day I posted one on the blog about that Edmonton tornado 30 years ago. I was working in a fab sweat shop making peanuts as basically unskilled labour. Our plant manager was a full time asshole and looked down his nose at the rest of us with contempt. When that tornado hit, the phones and power went out and half of us had to leave to go home and make sure our families were alright. Can you believe it? That idiot tried to bar our way and tell us to turn around - ya never know when the power might come on again and we could all go back to work! (Of course, he lived on the other side of town and didn't have to worry about his family or tornado damage...). I just walked around him and somehow stifled the urge to give him the finger when I left. For years that man treated us like shit and I eventually got fired for having a bad work attitude. I drew the line at working 60 hours a week for the kind of wages they paid - and getting treated like shit in the bargain. The people I left behind said he continued like that right up until he got fired a couple years later. The CEO flew in, dropped in without any notice and they walked him out the door. It was my first experience with the feral kiss up/kick down corporate culture and I swore I would never work in such a place again. (I did though a couple times, and only worked there long enough to find real employment elsewhere). I tell anyone that will listen that the big corporations and cubicle farms are death to men. You will do okay if you are a woman, a vibrant or a queer - but if you are a regular man? You either become a psychotic predator to survive in that environment - or you'll be consumed by them. I have met any number of men who don't give a shit who they gotta kill to get ahead. When they lie, steal, cheat - it's "just business. Nothing personal..."

I have seen so many good men do that it isn't even funny. It's been my observation in life that men that 'succeed' in the corporate environment often pay for that "success" with failure at home: they often end up divorced and unhappy with shattered families and it makes them even more bitter and angry in the workplace. (I know, I know...I'm one to talk, right?) I kinda split the difference in my career; I have managerial duties but I flat out refuse to carry the title. I won't kiss ass and I sure as hell won't kick it if I can avoid it. I will work WITH people, not for them. I have not made the most money of my peers - but I am still happily married, and while she lived with us my daughter was a model student and kept her nose clean. We aren't rich, but we're free, and we're together.


Ten years ago these guys were steady customers. Today, the shop is shuttered,
there's receivership notices on the doors and the plant is quietly running to rust and weeds.
I wonder how important and prestigious the Veep feels today...?

Yesterday I pulled into this vacant lot to do my homework. It was perfect - it was isolated and I could even get out and take a squirt! After I did my business and heaved a sigh of relief - I noticed where I had parked. Years ago there were always Audis, Benzes, and Lincolns parked over here. I dealt with the guys in the shop but I still remember flagging one of these suits down to ask a quick innocent question - and how that fella looked at me like I was something he scraped off his shoe. I wonder where that guy is today? Does he still drive a Caddy or a Porsche and sneer at the peasantry? What would he think of me stopping into his boarded up plant, parking in his spot and taking a piss on it? Will he think of all those people he stepped on, or screwed over, or mistreated? Or will he spend his time trying NOT to think of them?

We're here for a good time, not a long time.

Have a good Thursday.

3 comments:

  1. OK, it's official. I have decided to forgive you for being a dick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quote of the day... maybe the week

    We're here for a good time, not a long time.

    You win the internets for today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete